History of the Clarinet
History | Types of Clarinet | Famous Clarinet Performers | Types of Clarinet Music
- The clarinet is a single reed woodwind instrument, unlike an oboe or bassoon which uses two reeds.
- The clarinet is thought to have originiated in Ancient Greece, Egypt, and Europe, evolving from a bagpipe.
- A special characteristic of the clarinet is its very large range, regardless of what type of clarinet.
- The first ever clarinet was said to have started in 1700 when Johann Christoph Denner added a register (octave) key to an old instrument, the chalmeau.
- Eventually, clarinets have been made out of grenadilla wood, cocobolo wood, plastic, and other woods.
- The clarinet has always been a single reed instrument. It uses a wooden/plastic reed to vibrate and create sound.